Monday 19 October 2015

Welcome to the blog.

The gaming community of the early 2000s was a very different beast to the one we have today.

Without the ubiquity of wikis, Youtube playthroughs and streaming, and with most communities receiving little to no moderation, all sorts of strange hoaxes and urban legends began to form. A lot of them were entirely fictional. Some of them had a grain of truth to them. Sometimes, the truth was a lot more bizarre than anybody could account for.

Despite the laudable effort that many of the modern gaming community have gone to to uncover every last fact behind the modding scene, nobody has ever managed to get to the bottom of TRAINING.bsp. This blog is an attempt to set the record straight, or at least as straight as I can.

The events I'm going to describe took place at least a decade ago, and I sadly didn't take nearly as many notes as I would have if I'd known thirty-year-old me would be writing them up ten years later, so please do forgive me if I'm free with the facts, or not as clinical as I could be. I'm not a games journalist, here. I'm just going to tell the story as best I can.